You have two options to use DeepaMehta
- This provides you the most easy way to start with DeepaMehta. You don't need to download and install any software. You just need a Java-capable web browser and a DeepaMehta account to login. Get a DeepaMehta account / Login.
- Install it on your own machine
- If you download and install DeepaMehta on your own machine you are independant from the DeepaMehta website. All content you create is stored on your own machine. Download and install DeepaMehta.
Once logged in the DeepaMehta desktop appears in its own window. You can create topic maps in your personal workspace. Topic maps consist of topics and associations. Both, topics and associations are typed (e.g. Person, Institution, Website, ...)
- Create a topic map
- Select your personal workspace from the popup menu. Right-Click on the background and choose "Create Topic Map" from the menu. To open the topic map (eye icon) double-click it.
- Create a topic
- Right-Click the topic map background and choose a type from the "Create"-menu. If there is no suitable type yet, just choose "Topic" to create a generic topic.
- Create an association
- Alt-click the first topic and drag the mouse to the second topic. On a linux system try also (a combination of) shift-alt or ctrl-alt or the middle mouse button.
To work with DeepaMehta, you need a constant internet connection.
To log out just close the DeepaMehta window.
- Create your own types
- First, create a generic topic, name it e.g. "FC Barcelona". Secondly enter "Football Club" in its "Type"-field and press the enter key. This way a new type "Football Club" has been created. This means you can search for football clubs now ("Search") or create further football clubs ("Create").
- You can work on topic maps collaborativly by the means of shared workspaces. Once a topic map is published to a shared workspace it is accessible by other workspace members. Someone has published a topic map e.g. about greek myths & gods to the "DeepaMehta" workspace. By default you're a member of the shared workspaces "DeepaMehta" and "Type Builder". You can join further shared workspaces or create your own.
Getting more information
Read more about DeepaMehta's features and usage in the User Guide.